Saturday, April 26, 2008

Glory Run

As previously stated, each April I am part of a committee that put on a run. This event is known as the Glory Run. There is a 5k run/walk, a 1mile fun run, and a tot-trot. Last year, Kailyn and I both participated in the runs. I ran the 5k and she well sort of ran the tot-trot. Actually, last year she more like sauntered along the course holding Tony and my hand. She was also the last person to cross the finish line! Determined that this year would be different, I decided to take her and a few of her little girl friends to the course to “practice” running it. Now, let me first say that the distance they run for the tot-trot is not that long at all. It is probably about four house lengths long. Apparently to Kailyn this is too long! The first time I just wanted to have them walk it, so that they would know where they were going. They all did this fairly well. On our second attempt, I decided it would be fun to have them race a bit and try and run as fast as they could. Kailyn ran about two house lengths and stopped. I asked her what was wrong and all she said was, “This is too much work. It’s too hard. I don’t like running!” I stood there for a minute amazed, my daughter not like running! Whose child was this!! Meanwhile, the other two little girls had passed the finish line and were trying to cheer Kailyn on to keep going. Upset that I wouldn’t carry her the remaining two house lengths to the end, she just walked begrudgingly to the finish line. Rather discouraged by this, I attempted one other time to get her to run the course, but again she stopped even further from the end and said, “It’s too long!” So, when race day finally did arrive, I figured again she would probably finish up the race last…if she finished at all! To my shocking amazement, she actually was really excited and did fairly well! Now, she didn’t win first by any means, but she did finish!!! Yeah!! And she got a medal for finishing the race…so to her that was an enormous win!!

No comments:

Post a Comment