Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Kailyn's first day of school!




“Mom, will we have lunch? What are we going to do? Will we just play all day? Where am I going to sit? Will it be like my old school?” As I lay with Kailyn in her bed trying in vain to put her to sleep, these questions and many more kept streaming from her mouth. I’m not sure I have ever seen her like this! She could not fall asleep, anxious for the new beginning that lay before her! “Kailyn” I said, “I am not sure what tomorrow will be like, but I know you will have a great time.” It took over an hour to finally get her to fall asleep. In five years, I am not sure it has EVER taken her that long to go to bed. I knew she was excited, but I had no idea she would be so worried about her first day of school! Actually, her book bag had been packed for almost two weeks in anticipation.

Her first day ended up going wonderfully. Tony took the day off, for moral support…thanks Hon! She woke up happy and excited to start a new part of her life and as we headed to school she was all smiles and goofiness. They had an assembly that morning and announced the rather small class of only ten children. We were able to go with her to her room for a few minutes and she seemed ready for us to leave and get on with the day. She is truly an independent girl! That afternoon, we went to pick her up and she looked totally and completely exhausted! She was so cute walking to the carpool line in her little uniform with book bag in tow…our big girl. We went out for a little post school snack of chips and cheese dip at our local Mexican restaurant. There Kailyn proceeded to tell us as much as she could remember of her day, which was…we ate and played. At least she remembered the important stuff! We asked her if she wanted to go back tomorrow and she enthusiastically nodded yes. Despite the fact that I will miss her dearly, I am so very glad she had a good first day and seems to be liking school…let’s just hope the novelty of it doesn’t wear off too soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment