Tuesday, May 20, 2008

birthdays

Parties, parties, parties!! It seems like all we do lately is go from one party to the next!! For me, it is something I don’t really mind. I love the fellowship and good food. However, for Kailyn each party starts out a little disappointing. Since the beginning of the year, I have been explaining to Kailyn that her birthday is in July. She does not like this one bit! She doesn’t like it simply for the fact that July is taking its good old time getting here…according to her! In January, a friend from school had a birthday party. Thinking it would be a great idea for Kailyn to pick out the present we went shopping together. She was very excited and even helped me wrap the present; however, when it came time for her friend to open her glorious gift Kailyn literally had an emotional breakdown! Somehow she got dreadfully confused and thought we wrapped the present for her to open at some else’s party! Once that happened, we had a big talk about when her birthday was and that we will not be getting presents at every party we go to! Apparently this is a really hard concept for a three year old to grasp! Each time we have a party she asks, “Is it my party? Is it Kailyn’s birthday?” Each time I have to say no and then I ask her when her birthday is. She usually replies in a sulky and highly disappointed voice, “July…I don’t like July.” Then if she is really disappointed, she will say, “It can be my birthday today and they can have their birthday in July!” She is forever trying to change her birthday and even went up to her friend the other day and was trying to convince her to “switch” birthdays by saying, “It can be my birthday now…you like July. You can have a birthday in July!” Again, I had to explain to her that a birthday is something that cannot be traded or swapped. She wasn’t too happy with that! Needless to say, we are anxiously awaiting July…so I can finally say, “Yes, Kailyn it is your birthday…finally!”

No comments:

Post a Comment