Friday, May 16, 2008

pictures

Since it is getting close to Kailyn’s birthday, I decided we would try and get her picture taken once more. Despite the fact I knew it would be a grueling and hard endeavor, it needed to be done.

Let me first give you some background info on Kailyn and her history of getting her picture professionally taken. Around our house it wouldn’t be anything out the ordinary for me to be taking random pictures of Kailyn or having her pose in some funny outfit she picked out…she honestly loves to have Mommy take her picture (probably due to the fact that for the first two years of her life that is the only way she saw me…behind a camera, happily snapping away). However, put her in a room with plenty of props, beautiful backgrounds, beaming lights, and high-tech camera equipment and the tears will begin to flow! Kailyn has dreaded getting her picture taken ever since she was one! So, in all the lovely portraits we or our relatives have she may seem happy…but that is far from the truth! Usually, I schedule her appointments so that both Tony and I will be there…yes it requires two of us to get just one smile! So let me play it out for you. We walk in, Kailyn clinching Tony and/or my hand for dear life. She looks around, and then it begins, “Hold me, please! I don’t like this place!” Usually we get her to sit down with Tony and I mere inches away from her and inevitably she has at least two massive meltdowns and her face turns bright red. By the end not only are Tony and I exhausted but the poor camera person who had to deal with us for the past hour or so is ready to kick us to the curb! I am sure every professional photographer that has taken Kailyn’s picture, watches us as we leave and wonders why in the world pictures mean so much to us and why on earth it is so hard to get our little girl to crack a smile! One time we had not only the photographer but two other people who worked there trying to make Kailyn smile just once! It is always a patient trying, totally exhausting, emotion filled visit!

Having said all that, I wasn’t really looking forward to getting her picture taken today…by myself! So, Tonyless and a bit worried we headed to our appointment. As soon as we walked in, Kailyn remembered where we were. “Oh, I don’t like to get my picture taken here! It’s not fun.” As she said this, all I could do was take a deep breath and continue to pray for a miracle…I wasn’t really in the mood for a physically and emotionally exhausting morning. So, I signed us in and we waited for about five minutes. I must insert here that this particular photographer was excellent, we have gone to her before but this time she did awesome! Anyway, she came out and introduced herself to Kailyn and asked if she was ready. A bit hesitant Kailyn followed, not holding my hand, but the photographers instead. She walked into the room and followed every direction the photographer gave her, looking at me after each picture and saying, “Look…cheese!” In a mere twenty minutes we were done! Not one tear, one bit of hesitation, or one insecurity…she loved it! Not only did she enjoy it, but her pictures were truly precious! So, we have turned a corner! No longer is she deathly afraid of her photographer, but she actually likes getting her picture taken…at least for the time being:)

No comments:

Post a Comment