Friday, May 2, 2008

Lunch with my Godmom

Kailyn’s Godmother is a very good friend of mine, Lisa. Lisa’s birthday is at the beginning of May and this year, we took her out for lunch on her birthday. Before I go on, I want to give just a little background here about how Kailyn slightly believes Lisa is not only her Godmother…but her fairy Godmother!

Recently, I was talking to Kailyn about her Godmother and explaining to her that Aunt Lisa’s birthday was coming up. While I was telling her that we were going to take her out to lunch, Kailyn’s eyes got unusually large and a big smile appeared on her face. I asked her what she was so excited about and she replied, “I have a Godmother?” I stated that of course she had a Godmother and reminded her that it was Lisa. I think the misunderstanding here lied in the fact that Kailyn usually called Lisa Godmom. Anyhow, I didn’t think it was that big of a deal that she was so excited. I guess that I should have put two and two together and realized that with this newfound name for Lisa, Kailyn thought she had become something greater…her fairy Godmother! You know, Cinderella really is to blame for my child’s simple misconception! The idea of a fairy godmother showing up and giving you all sorts of cool things like a sweet pumpkin to ride in and a really beautiful gown is amazing and at Kailyn’s age totally believable! So as I walked off as apparently visions of mice, pumpkins and gowns began filling Kailyn’s head!

All throughout lunch, Kailyn seemed to be engrossed in Lisa…she wanted to sit by her and every once in a while she would look at me with a big smile and then look back at Lisa. Honestly, I thought she was just really happy to see her. It wasn’t until I was buckling Kailyn in her car seat that she said, “That was my Godmother…like Cinderella!” “Yes,” I replied, “she is your Godmother…just like Cinderella.” My mistake! On our way home I thought about it and when we arrived home I told her that despite the fact Lisa is her Godmother, she doesn’t have a magicwond. “But she is my fairly Godmother!” Like so many things at this age I tried to explain the difference to her, but I felt as if she didn’t grasp a word of what I said! So to this day, when Kailyn see her dear Godmother at any time she gets rather excited and reminds me with a big smile, “That is MY Godmother!”

No comments:

Post a Comment