Monday, September 1, 2008

My Buddy

I do believe that kids and good wine have something in common. I know it sounds kind of strange to compare the two, but the more I think about it the more I believe it! Wine as most anyone knows grows better with age; I believe the same is true of children. As Kailyn has grown from so little to rather a big girl, I realize she too is growing “better” as the days, weeks, months and years have passed. Just as I begin to think she is about as much fun as she can be, she changes and totally surprises me! I can still remember when she first started going shopping with me, when she started playing board games, when she learnt how to play hide and seek, when all these little enjoyments were brand new. Now, they seem so common place and new accomplishments have taken their place. One particular instance that will inevitably stay with me forever happened about a week ago. Kailyn and I have always enjoyed our little lunches and short, but fun shopping trips. However, on this particular day I decided to schedule a little “Kailyn and mommy time,” because I had been rather busy lately and felt I had neglected to just spend time with my darling daughter. I decided to let Kailyn sleep in and then after a good bit of snuggling asked her what she would like to do. Her reply was no surprise to me...go to the coffee shop. So, after getting dressed we headed to Starbucks to have breakfast together. After this I decided we would do a bit of shopping, because I needed a dress for a wedding that I was going to that weekend. Well, needless to say my “little bit” of shopping ended up spanning almost 3 hours. Kailyn hung in there like a real trooper! Actually, she is the one that found my dress! We used the thumbs up or thumbs down system to decide if we liked each dress and I don’t think she gave not even one dress a thumbs down! She was such an uplifting audience to have! I felt like I was hanging out with one of my girl friends! To me, this is what motherhood was all about! After our shopping excursion, we headed home for lunch and an afternoon of Lego Star Wars…Kailyn’s favorite video game!!! She’s actually not that bad at it! This day reminded me of something…not to take our little coffee trips or mornings of snuggling for granted…they will be gone far too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment